FRPO MEMBERS CODE OF CONDUCT
The mission of the FRPO is to represent and protect the interests of private-sector, rental-housing providers through the promotion of fair rental housing policies in Ontario.
FRPO members are dedicated to enhancing effective communication between building owners and customers, maintaining the highest standards of building management and ensuring effective representation of the industry with the public at large and the government of Ontario. This Code of Conduct shall guide the actions of all members.
- Members shall act fairly with residents in a manner worthy of a member of the organization
- Members shall operate the business of providing residential rental accommodation in a professional manner with high standards of integrity and honesty in their dealings with residents, suppliers, employees and contractors.
- Members will strive to provide a safe and secure environment for residents and employees.
- As a minimum standard of conduct, members shall make every effort to be aware of and comply with municipal, provincial and federal legislation and by-laws which apply to residential tenancies and the operation of residential buildings.
- Members shall not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, colour, creed, gender, sexual orientation, family status, national origin, disability, receipt of public assistance or source of income.
- Members shall bring to the attention of the organization and endeavour to change any laws or government policies which are discriminatory, inequitable or prejudicial to either rental housing providers or residents.
- Members shall seek to establish and maintain relationships with their tenants that are based on mutual respect as well as recognition and acceptance of the rights and responsibilities of both residents and building management.
- Members shall make every effort to resolve disputes in good faith, first within their own organization and secondly through the mediation services of the Landlord Tenant Board, where reasonable and applicable. Members shall participate in such processes in good faith and make every effort to contribute to speedy decisions.
- Members shall strive to maintain and continually improve the professional standards of their business through education, training and information exchange and shall act in a manner that will enhance the image and goodwill of the rental housing industry, the Federation and its members.
- Every member shall endeavour to protect the public against fraud, misrepresentation and unethical practices.
A member who violates this Code of Conduct may be reprimanded, suspended or expelled from the organization by resolution of the Board of Directors. No such disciplinary action will be taken until a complete investigation has been conducted by the Federation and the member has been given the opportunity to respond and, where appropriate, to correct the violation.